Friday, March 08, 2013

Does yard work hasten spring or prolong winter?

I still haven't finished working at the church  with the last of four  piles of wood yet to be carried to the street.  I also have a mini-pile and a couple of logs already cut up to dig out of the weeds plus the weeds to pull and all the debris to rack up.  I could have spent today racking and pulling weeds.  I can't carry the wood off  except on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesdays because the city picks up on Thursday and if I carry the wood to the street after the city picks up it is there during church and I don't want that. 

Next week I have an appointment in Winston-Salem on Tuesday and have to go to Hickory on Thursday.  I understand we might get some wet weather on Monday and with all the previous ground soaking the yard will still be too wet to drive on so I can't carry the wood to the street next week. 

While it hasn't been too wet to rack or pull weeds, it has been too cold and windy.  I'm recovering  from something the likes of which I've never had before.  It starting with a light sore throat then with  chest congestion and then my sinuses clogged up.  It doesn't take much movement to clog me up completely and breathing is difficult. 

I realize that the changing of the seasons is generally accompanied by high winds but what I don't know is when winter is going to let go and spring take hold.  I'll mow the grass in hot weather because I don't have a choice but I'm not pulling weeds, racking or carrying wood when the temperature goes above 70.  If spring comes quickly then I just may not get finished this year. 

I did order some packets of vegetation killer which I intend to use around the trees since I can't mow in that area yet.  There are too many small stumps, rocks, and bricks thrown about and the ground is too unlevel in sopts.  The unlevel ground is the cause of my koehler mower being damaged beyond repair.  This year I purchased a rider to cut the grass with so I have to take extra good care of it. 

If it gets too warm for me to pull weeds and rack then I'll have to spray vegetation killer on the newly cleared portion as well so I won't be able to plant pumpkins on that portion.  Last year I quit work at the end of February.  I could have been finished by the end of December this year if the city would have picked up the wood from the field but they wouln't so I've had to carry it to the street.  With all the rain and other things I've had to do I haven't been able to work on the field steadly like I did last year. so I've gotten behind. 

To tell the truth, I'm ready for spring and I really don't mind waiting until next year to finish except that next year I just may not feel like doing anything at all.  I'm not sure if I want spring to hurry or for winter to stay around awhile.  But to tell the truth it really doesn't matter all that much to me. 

No comments: