Sunday, July 07, 2013

DEATH OF A GARDEN

The last bit of rain is finally succeeding in killing most of my garden.  Potato plants died long ago and early on seeds were rotting before they could germinate.  I did my best to save my tomato plants
but they are finally succumbing to excess water.  Pumpkins rotted on the vine, cantaloupes are yellow, kale is tough and onions are soft.  Beets and radishes didn't grow.  It's just a disaster.  My okra is hardly bigger than some of the grass that came up in the garden space.  Not a single bit of clover germinated.  If there if there is anything edible from the garden it does me not good as it is so muddy getting into the garden is near impossible. 

If I had a raised garden bed drainage would have been much better and I would be looking at a bountiful harvest so as much as I would like to blame the weather I really can't.  Making a raised garden bed is expensive and I'm not sure I could ever grow enough crops to justify the expense. 

My pumpkin patch is a double disaster.  Not only am I going to get few if any pumpkins, the pumpkin leaves that I counted on to shade the ground to retard weed growth just aren't there so I have an acre full of weeds.  I guess I'll just have to save my money and hire someone to ploy the field for me this winter. 

I don't think there is much, if anything, left to do for the garden.  I did pick two squash, 4 cucumbers,
a couple of tomatoes, and about 8 pounds of kale.  It wasn't a total loss but not very cost effective this year.  Like the cubs fans say, there is always next year.

No comments: