Monday, July 01, 2013

tomatoes: The Superfood Cure-All

I love tomatoes and always have know they were good and good for you but an article on Yahoo sings the praises of a tomato as a super food.  The article says they improve eye sight, reduce your chances of having a stroke and/or heart attack along with other virtues, like reduces your chances of getting sunburned. 

I've eaten several out of my garden although all the rain threatened to kill all my tomato plants.  A friend of mine lost all 72 of his put I only lost one.  The fruits are smaller than normal but are beginning to ripen so in the next several weeks I should be getting plenty off the vine.  I'm getting excited as I love home grown fresh tomatoes. 

Wild blackberries are starting to ripen too.  I've picked a couple of handfuls but I don't have many vines and they are hard to get to this year.  I'm starting me a run of seedless blackberry plants.  I only have one now but will expand them next year after I move one run of grapes. 

My blueberry bushes are really growing this year but I discovered they are subject to cedar rust too.  I've cut down many cedar trees but I can't go onto other people's property and I have a couple I set out as a privacy border but I treat them to prevent the formation of cedar rust.  It doesn't seem as bad this year and I'm hoping as my grape vines get longer and some other plants get larger it will help prevent cedar rust from attacking my fruit trees and bushes. 

My black cherry tree had a few berries this year; about five or so.  Hopefully  my other cherry trees will start producing next year although it could be another two or three years before they flower out. 

My peaches are small.  I'm not sure if that is due to all the rain or not.  0

No comments: