Friday, July 12, 2013

One is the lonliest number

Being isolated is a terrible thing.  Separation is used as punishment in our prison systems and as a form of torture in Korean and Vietnamese prisoner of war camps.   One can be lonely in a crowd.  One of the worst forms though comes about through the loss of a loved one. 

I have a friend who married his high school sweetheart (but not until after his military service was complete) and stayed married to her until her death 48 years after they said "I do".  He is really a likeable fellow and has friends but as he told me "no friend is going to spend the night and talk, listen, and care like a spouse would". 

All I can be is a friend  and I just don't know how to help him out of his depression.  It is serious as he has thought about suicide to relieve the loneliness.  What can I do to help? 

No comments: