Thursday, February 18, 2016

I didn't know that but wish I did.

Fun Fact: After the first season, Davy Jones received a draft notice -- and starved himself for three weeks in order to fail the physical.

  That's Davy Jones of the Monkees.  I thought the TV show was stupid back then and I still think it is dumb.  I also knew that some, if not all, the band members were anti-Vietnam War.  So was I.  But I served two tours in Vietnam anyway and as a volunteer.  There are certain things one is called to do in life:  serve in the military, pull jury duty, and salute the American flag during the playing of the national anthem.  No, I had no wish to die and I certainly don't look forward to taking my own time to sit in judgement of my fellow man.  
   To intentionally jeopardize one's own health in an effort to subvert ones duty to ones country and put another woman's child in danger (someone had to take his place) is a criminal act punishable as cowardice would be punished by the Uniform Code of Military Justice.  You probably disagree but then you probably didn't have to fight in Vietnam because someone else wimped out. 

No comments: