Monday, February 08, 2016

Valentine's on the 7th.

    Have you ever tried to take your sweetie out to a restaurant on Valentines Day?  Long lines and impossible waits are the rule.  My wife and I stay home on that day.  Since her aneurysm she doesn't do well in crowds so it is best we not venture out that day anyway. 
  We usually go out to dinner after church on Sunday morning a couple of times a month.  Roadhouse express and a local Mexican Food restaurant are our usual places to dine but we had decided we would like a steak.  The best steak I've eaten was at the Texas Roadhouse in Hickory but that's too far to go.  There are some good places in Greensboro like the Outback or Longhorn but the trouble with most steakhouses today is that slap a piece of meat on a plate and call it a meal.  I'm sorry but I'm southern.  I like a potato and a salad with my meat. 
   I know there is a descent steakhouse in Randleman but for my money I'd rather drive to Archdale to the Pioneer.  I know most people think of the pioneer as a buffet place and it is and a second rate one at that.  Golden Coral has the best selection but Snyder Farms has the best food, by far.  The truth be told though, the Pioneer serves a good steak.  One gets your choice of baked potato or fries, roll or toast and a trip to the salad bar and the desert bar.   Most steak places give you a piece of meat and a hunk of hard bread and a sampling of butter.  The steak should be the center piece of the meal but  not the whole thing.   

No comments: