Saturday, February 20, 2016

Some delays, some success, and a tie.

   They cabinets I ordered back in December finally came in (the second time) but no laminate tops so they will be a three week delay.  Window World had problems with the large window so their installation date (scheduled for February 1 has been pushed back to the second week in March. 
   The out building has been delivered and set up.  To be honest, the hasps and hinges are designed to keep the doors on the building  but will have to be changed in order for the building to ne secure.  I am having it tied into the home alarm as well.  The front door and new storm door were delivered and installed.  I didn't notice until after the man left that the bracket for the deadbolt on the main door was set too high so the deadbolt wouldn't set so I fixed the problem myself.  The refinishing job I did on her 58 year old bathtub turned out good so I'm pleased with that.
   The success is I finally got Mom qualified for Medicaid.  It was really stressful combining all her accounts into one account, spending money  fixing up the house, trying to get the money in the annuity released, scheduling the workers, painting, moving stuff over and over, doing minor repair work and so much cleaning.  The most stressful part was that I had no idea how much money I had in the bank account plus I had no power of attorney to even write a check let alone obtain the information in order to balance the check book.  I finally had to take Mom to the bank.  But now everything is done as far as qualifying   Mom and in three weeks the house should be completed.
  There were a few minor problems I have to deal with on my own.  The truck delivering the shed got stuck so I had to hire the wrecker to pull him out of the mud and pay a walking fee, ($180.00 total)  I had to pay $89.00  for the laminate countertops and I will have to pay for the alarm system upgrades ($250.00) plus I'll have to change the hasp and hinges and paint the building out of my own pocket. 
  Now all the expense of running the roads between Randleman and Hickory will be out of my own pocket but you know, a man only has one Mom and he needs to do right by her.  After all she has always been there for me. 

No comments: