Thursday, May 25, 2017

AMD

AMD is short for age related macular degeneration.  The good news is that some forms are treatable and even reversible.  When I received my first shot I was really encouraged because I showed a 70% improvement and the doctor was astounded by my bodies reaction.  Each subsequent shot brought improvement at an ever decreasing rate until a couple of months ago when I showed no improvement then a worsening , even with an increased dosage.
  Last month the doctor tried a different drug which slowed the decline and hopefully will began again the healing process.   If it doesn't there is still hope as there is a third drug and differing dosages that he can try.
  I have a machine that measures the condition in my good eye which will lead to earlier detection than can be had by use of the chart alone.  So far I've used the machine every day but I know that will not always be possible.
  When I began my shots it was a three year program and the doctor was hopeful I would not have to take all the normal amount of shots but now it looks like I may be taking shots for up to 7 years.
  The process is inconvenient but much better than being blind.  

No comments: