Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Garden News

My garden is smaller than in years past but larger than last years.  I tried tomatoes in buckets last year with mixed success.  This year I made a raised garden on the north end of the house about 4 feet wide and 30 feet long.  I was able to plant 22 plants in the ground, one in a bucket and one in a small section with a rose bush. along with one green pepper.  All the tomato plants except one are large and healthy and I will soon be picking tomatoes.  I planted that space about a month ago.
  Two weeks ago I made another raised garden on the south end of the house about the same size and planted watermelon, cantaloupe, jalapeno pepper, squash and cucumbers.  That side gets sun all day so I had to mulch the area to keep the soil from drying out too fast and stressing the plants.  They are large enough now that they are beginning to spread.  The area where the tomatoes are gets sun early and the in the late afternoon while shady before noon and in the evening.  That seems to be a winning combination for the plants.
I picked some cherries for the first time this year and have apples and peaches on my trees and well as one pear on my new pear tree.  I'll get grapes, blueberries, and blackberries  from my plants this year too.
For color I planted wildflowers among my tomato plants and while many have grown I have had no flowers yet.
My trip to the zoo plant sell yielded me some nice additions to my yard.  I picked up a purple cone flower, a black eyed Susan, a couple of Milk Weed plants (also known as butterfly weed) and a Mexican petunia.  The Milk Weed plant is the only known plants( so I've been told) that attracts the famous Monarch butterfly.  I picked up two plants but have three growing   so I guess I'm lucky.  I sure hope I picked a good spot for them.  So far it seems I have.
 

No comments: