Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Garden News

  Excessive amounts of rain have affected the gardens with too much water causing some plants to show signs of drowning.  A few years back I lost most of my tomato plants because of drowning and what few tomatoes I had tasted awful.  The difference between then and now is that then I planted to tomatoes in the hard red clay and this years I planted them in a raised bed of store bought rich garden soil.  The plants have a better root system plus better draining soil. , Hopefully they will have much better taste when they ripen.
  Speaking of ripening, the yellow tear drop tomatoes have a couple that are now yellow.  In a couple of days they should be ready for the salad bowl.  They aren't the kind for that much anticipated first tomato sandwich of the year.  That, it seems, is  a couple weeks off.
  The wild blackberries are turning red but they are plenty small this year.  My domestic blackberries are smaller than normal but are still green so seem to have plenty of time to grow in size before ripening/  I picked a handful of blueberries from my bush.  I suppose my the weekend most should be ripe.  maybe fresh blueberry pancakes for Sunday breakfast?

No comments: