Friday, November 10, 2017

How to save and still good a good shave

I've heard about extending the life of a razor by keeping the blade dry.  These three blade razors blades are expensive so to make them last longer and get a good shave sounded like a good idea.
  My first efforts were mildly successful.  Just dry the blade off after use.  I could get three to four weeks out of a blade versus the recommended two.  Then I got the idea of baby oil.  I'd coat the blade with baby oil after each use.  From the dollar tree one can get a 16 oz bottle for a dollar.  Cheap enough.
   One day I man said that the oil only lubricated the blade and nothing could extend the life of the blade.  I replied it didn't matter because now I got two to three months from a blade versus two weeks and even if it was just lubrication it was well worth the cost of a little baby oil.  Still, the man put a challenge to the theory that blades deteriorate due to moisture and not use.
   So earlier this year I decided to try a grand experiment.  I had two identical razors and purchased a new back of blades.  One blade I put in my travel kit I carried when I went to Hickory.  I always showered and shaved after doing my Moms lawn.  I used both blades for the first time in February.  The blade in the travel kit I just put up as one normally would.  The blade I was using at home I treated differently.  I got an old plastic soap dish and filled it with baby oil and dropped the blade into it after shaving.
  The second time I used the razor in my travel bag l thought it would rip my face off so I got a small bottle of baby oil to coat the blade with and it helped some but not much .  It was still a rough shave.  After the third attempt I decided to shave before going to Hickory and to just shower after yard work.  The lubrication helped just a little but it hurt a lot to shave and it wasn't a smooth shave at all.
The experiment with the travel blade seemed to confirm that  lubricate did not extend the life of the blade.  But what about my blade I was using at home?
   It has now been a little over nine months since I put that blade in my razor and i shave four or five times a week with it and the shave I had this morning was just as smooth and close as the very first shave I got with it back in February.  I use less baby oil soaking the blade this way too.  I still have 12 oz left from that 16 oz bottle and it took 3 oz. to fill my soap dish.
  Say what you will about extension of life or just lubrication but I believe I have demonstrated that lubrication alone didn't help much but to keep the blade dry will cause the blade to stay sharper longer.  I'm satisfied with the results and a little richer too.  And I do so much enjoy being clean shaven with a smooth close shave to boot.  

No comments: