Friday, November 17, 2017

Pond transformation almost complete

If you have followed by blog for any length of time you are aware I have two water ponds.  I have had water ponds for years and sometimes they look good and sometimes there are problems.  When I first dug these ponds I knew I was going to have problems with the big one as the ground was so hard digging was almost impossible with pick and shovel.
  Starting out the small upper pond looked really good but then I planted the wrong kind of bamboo and instead of getting the fast growing kind I got a slow growing and fast spreading bamboo instead.  It was just a mess and chocked out my ground cover plants.  The bigger pond was never level and I never could solve the problem of the water level even after redigging it several times.  Algae was the biggest problem because the sun shinned on both ponds all day long and even with UV sterilizers continued to be a problem though less so when the sterilizers were working.
   I finally decided to change my set up and pulled up the liner to the bigger pond and moved the hard side liner from the small pond to the lowest spot in the hole where the big pond was.  I then back filled around the small liner from the dirt that originally came from the hole building a ramp down to the liner.  I then dug out a hole about twelve inches deep at the top of the ramp.
   I put my pump in the hard side liner, used my soft liner to cover the ramp and to fill the small hole at the top creating a stream.  I put my filter in the small hole.  The pump pumps the water from the small pond up the stream and fills the small hole.  Placing rocks around the filter allows for a bubbler effect from the discharge end of the pump.  The water then flows back down the hill into the small pond.
  The place I am at now is the liner, pump and filter are in place and everything is running smoothly.  I now need to trim the excess from the soft liner, place rocks in the stream to create a waterfall and a naturally looking stream bed, to fill in some low spots around the hard liner and to plant some additional ground cover plants.  I'll take some pictures and post them when the work is complete.  It will take a couple of years for the ground cover plants to fill in the spots so the area looks it's best.  I sure hope it solves the algae problem.
  The inspiration for this came about when my breeder koi had carp babies instead of koi and I had nothing to sell.  I now have no koi as the small pond is too small to raise koi in.  But I do have plenty of goldfish including twenty new babies.  I'n really excited to share the pictures with you soon.

No comments: