Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Congress, health care, compromise

I once had a pick-up truck that I needed to sell. I looked the value up in all the latest "value books" and determined the vehicle was worth $1200.00. I parked it in the front yard with my phone number on it and the next day a man called and wanted to see it.

He asked how much I wanted and I quoted him a price and he made a counter offer of less than that and I accepted. That is compromise. He purchased the truck he wanted for less than the asking price so he felt he did a good job negotiating.

I sold the truck, which was my goal, and I sold it for more than it's book value.

It was a good compromise for us both.

Obama promised Americans change and one of the things he wants to change is the meaning of compromise, or at least the way it is done.

Obama wants the Republicans to accept the premise that compromise is accepting as fact that in the end, he will get what he wants with or without their cooperation so if they will agree to stop fighting him on what he wants, he will tell the American people it was a bipartisan piece of legislation but if they don't agree to just roll over, he is going to get his way one way or the other and he will do his best to make the Republicans look bad in the process.

It's kind of like if the man came to look at my truck and offered me a price way too low and I said no so he told me if I didn't accept his offer he would steal my truck and I would get nothing and I still said no even though I knew he was the local sheriff and if he stole the truck I would never be able to prove it or would I ever get my truck back or any money for it.

Change you can believe in (yea, right)

No comments: