Sunday, October 03, 2010

Losing weight

The new catch phrase with dieters is "LIFESTYLE CHANGE". It isn't a lifestyle change unless it becomes part of your daily routine and effortless in its execution. thant's the problem with most diets is that you have to buy certain foods and avoid others, count calories, or make concious decions that you would rather not have to make. After days or weeks or months of effort it all goes for naaught nd one regains the weight, often more than what was lost.

My goal when I started was not to lose weight but to improvve my overall health. I was, litterly, a walking deadman, with triglyerides of over 700, colestrerol over 400and blood pressure in a relaxed state over 160.

NBormally I can maintain my weight or even lose a pound or two during the summer months but the winter has been rough on my waist line, as is normal for most people.
This year has been different with the extraordinary heat, it has just been too hot to do much outside and exercising in doors just raises the temperature in the house so I limited that too. Yes, I gained 8 pouds over the summer but my helthy numbers remainded steadfast.

The reason for that was what I ate rather than how much. Eating an extra apple, even if the apple is healthy, will cause one to take in an extra 100 to 150 calories they didn't need, but is far beeter than getting the calories, say, from a bag of 100calorie a pack cookies.

I have picked up again on my WII exercises but as far as food,i have become so accustomed to eating a bowl of cereal with fruit for breakfast, a bowl of soup and an apple for lunch, a light supper, and fruit for snacks, that Ireally don't think much about eating anything else.

Of course, I still grill out that steak occasionally, and I do eat a big Angus burger now and then, but that is so rare it is a treat, not a normal routine.

The important thing for me is to remain healthy and not just to lose weight. By the books, I would have to lose another 60 pounds to be at my idea weight, but as far as healthy numbers, I just couldn't get any better than I am right now.

No comments: