Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Summer gardens

I know. It's fall and summer gardens are long gone, especially because of the rain, or lack there of this year. It's too expensive to water the garden and the summer heat and lack of rain was the cause of the demise and unproductivity of most home gardens this year. Cuccumbers came and went quickly, canteloupes ripen quickly, going from green to over ripe in just a matter of a day or two. Watermelons grew slowly, if at all, and bell peppers withered on the vines. Most garderners I know pulled their tomato plants up in August. I still have mine.

I doubt if they make it until November but I stick pick a dozen now and then. The red globes are getting smaller and fewerbut as long as the vines keep producing I'll keep them around.

Never did plant any of the fall green stuff.

No comments: