Friday, October 15, 2010

Pond redo




A month or si ago I redug my water pond but just now downloaded the picture. Water ponds are ususally cleaned in the spring but I needed to redig mine as well as clean it so I did it this fall when we had a brief break in the weather. Of course it hit ninety again just after I finished and didn;t rain for three or four weeks.

I needed to make one end deeper and balance out the sides. I lowered the plant shelf on one side but left the side nearest the house as it was. This will give the fish better protection from predators and as the fish are getting larger they need the extra swimming area.

I filled it up partially from city water but really wanted to wait for rain as rain has less chemicals. It took 1500 gallons from the city to get the water level passed the plant shelves. That is rather expensive and the city only gave me a $6.00 break on the water bill. That is why I installed another rain barrell.

During the hot dry summer, the sun can suck the water level down a foot sothe extra sources of water providesa safty valve for the fish as well as the plants.

No comments: