Thursday, January 17, 2013

Is Steve Harvey Correct?

"Act Like a Lady but Think Like a Man" or something similar to that is the title of a best selling book by Steve Harvey, the comedian, game show host, and talk show/variety show host.  I have to admit I like the format of the Steve Harvey Show and he is an interesting character in and of himself. 

I haven't read his book.  It is written to the ladies and if you watch his show you will notice it is about women and for women.  He does fancy himself a ladies man and in his book he proposes to teach women to act like ladies by understanding how men think and using that knowledge to their advantage. 

When I was a younger man I had a high school girl writting me and she was telling me about her life, especially about her relationships.  Like Steve Harvey does in his book, I told the girl how men think.  At first he made her mad but she later admitted that I was right.  I knew I was right.  I'm a man. 

I don't agree that everything a man does is about sex.  Oh, I know a lot of what men do is about sex.  The prettiest women get the most attention from male workers in retail stores, are less likely to be found guilty in a court of law, and are probably treated much better in most aspects of life than either men or their less attractive counterparts.  A rescent study showed that men are most likely to find guilty in court an overweight woman than either any man or attractive women.  Life isn't fair that way.

One of the most talked about people of late is a football player named Tim Tebow.  It isn't so much his atlectic abilities that have drawn the interest of people but rather his religion.  Whether people expressly comment on it or not, I think it makes him a polorizing figure and he has drawn much scorn because he is a Christian.  No, not because he is a Christian like most Christians view themselves as but a Christian like the Bible teaches us a Christian should be like. 

A person who is fully surrendered is a new man.  One doesn't have to try to live a Christian life but God will take from us does things we do not need and give to us those things we do need.  I see in this young man a desire to live as Christ would have him live.  He isn't motivated by sex but by love. 

Men like to be winners and I believe  that winning is a stronger motivator of men than sex is.  It dating, sex is the goal, the reward, if you will, for winning.  But that is just the regular season.  The championship is determined by whom a man gets to be his partner.  Prestige, power, and things are the rewards of being a winner at work.  It is about being good at what one does. 

I believe if women understood that they would have a better relationship with their husbands.  What your husband to take more interest in housework?  Sure you have nag him and plead and beg all you want but that will only make your husband mad or withdrawn.  That is telling the hunter he isn't a good hunter.  It is what he does and you critize him for not being good at it.  That isn't motivation.

Tell him you like the way he washes the dishes because he is faster or better at it than you are, or more careful or whatever.  Make him feel special and appreciated and he will wash so many dishes that you may never get to do that task again. 

We all like to think we are special.  Whomever you married you married because at the time you thought they were special.  If one continues to treat their spouse/partner as if they are truly special the relationship will not only last but be a happy one. 

No comments: