Saturday, May 18, 2013

Belhaven

I was just looking over my latest copy of "Our State" when I came across an article on Belhaven.  I really like the articles on the small towns, in this case 1659 residents, because the writer is able to capture the character of the place much better than one can do justice to larger places, say like Hickory.  Fortunately, North Carolina is full of small towns and they seem to have a personality unique to themselves. 

Belhaven is the home of "Little Eva" born there. becoming famous for the song "Do the Locomotion" and moved back there to live and now to rest forever.  Another resident won a super bowl ring with the Green Bay Packers. The mention of their lives struck a cord with me.  In bigger towns where many people go on to fame and fortune few people pay much attention, even in their former neighborhoods but in small towns like Belhaven they stand out and are remembered because the chances of someone from such a small place becoming famous is rare and for one of them to return there to live out their days is rarer still. 

It's remarkable that one person can do something so well that they become famous for doing what they did but in most cases the fame comes from the entertainment industry (sports and music are both entertainment) I suppose the other way to being immortalized is to become a famous politician like a governor or a President.  People seldom become famous for just being good people, although I can think of a few.  (Okay, just one.) 

Yesterday a lady stopped by my church while I was there doing lawn work and some repair work.  Some trees had recently been cut and she expressed her sadness as her father was the person who had planted the trees.  She was disappointed when I allowed her to look at the inside of the church.  A plaque inscribed with the names of the members was no longer there and the old wooden pews had been replaced.  It was different than when she attended church there as a young child and the memories were not honored. 

I wish I had the plaque and a more complete history of the church, when it was started and who were all the former pastors.  I have heard the names of a few of the former preachers but I don't know their history.  The church was vacant for awhile before pastor Catrell took over and he closed it down before Rev. Garrett revived the church.  U suppose our most famous member was Dora Tickle because she sat under many of the former pastors but she passed away Feb. 27th of this year. 

No, she isn't famous like the football player or the famous singer, and her reputation will probably fade with the passing of those that knew her, but people of her character are rare, especially in little churches like One Way Baptist.     

No comments: