Sunday, May 26, 2013

Retirement and camping in an RV

When I was in the Navy I pulled some tours of Vietnam and during the first of those tours I was stationed at an air base in Da Nang and met a guy named David.  We left Vietnam together and both landed in the Philippines where we both married native girls.  We have kept in touch during the last forty-three years, visiting each other every couple of years.  I worked in pharmacies and grocery stores while David worked for General Motors, as did his wife.  They both received buyout packages to retire early, then were called back a few years later, the received a second severance package. 
  With the first, they purchased an apartment complex and a small camper.  David hired his son, Dave, to manage the apartments for him and David and his wife, Chris, went camping.  After the second stint of work, David and Chris bought a  RV, the kind with the pop out side. and a nice jeep Wrangler to pull behind it.  They live most of their life on the road visiting various camp grounds in the south from Ohio to Florida.  I haven't been able to visited them but once in the last eight years because they can only stay in one place for two weeks. 
  At first I was a little envious, with him having good jobs and retiring early and being able to visit various places.  It's like being on a permanent vacation.  They see different places and meet different people and seem to be really happy.   But I'm happy too. 
  I live just a ten minute drive away from a lake where I can fish.  I have built two little fish ponds in  my yard plus with all the trees and flower gardens I have planted its like living in a scenic area.  I have vegetable gardens to eat fresh produce from, plenty of shade from the trees, flowers gardens that has something blooming in them 10 months out of the year, plenty of friends, and lots of things to see and do close to home.   There really is no place he can visit that can offer him more than I already have.  I do have something he doesn't.  That is a purpose.  He is enjoying life and so do I but I spent much of my time in helping others.  Sometimes I'll mow the yard of a friend, or visit with someone who isn't feeling well, or show someone how to live a more fulfilling and useful life. 
  Perhaps my life isn't as fun as David's but I really wouldn't enjoy camping out 10 months a year, having to live in a cramped RV and moving every two weeks.  I've had a couple of little tastes of what that would be like a few times in my life.  That isn't who I am.

No comments: