Thursday, August 08, 2013

Dog Days and Dog Owners

My neighbor owned two boxers which he frequently let run loose.  The puppies were huge and liked to venture over to my house where they would dig up my flowers and jump in my koi pond in an attempt to catch my fish.  They would growl and bark at me and showed no fear.  I suppose I did because those dogs frightened me.  After being cornered one day the only way to change my situation was to call the police.  It seems that for a long while calling the police on his dogs were a monthly occurrence. 

Finally facing the ire of the local police department my neighbor got rid of one of the boxers and started obeying the local lease laws with the other.  About  two months or three months ago while working at the church helping to removed 11 tree stumps I saw a cute little dog running down the middle of the street dragging a tie down stake and a chain behind it.  It was in serious danger of getting run over, struck by a piece of heavy equipment or getting lost forever.  I caught the cut little fellow and pushed its tie down stake in the ground, and gave it some water.  I knew I couldn't keep the dog nor could I just leave it there so I notified the police.  It turned out the dog was owned by a lady Randleman  police officer.

I have another neighbor that ties his down out in the back yard 24/7 365 days a year.  I've blogged about that poor dog several times and did so just recently.  For the second time in recent weeks the dog has gotten loose and she wants to come play with me.  Today I was trying to change the battery in my truck when this poor creature runs up and starts jumping on me.  My wife had just come home and since she is now disabled due to a severe brain injury and is unstable on her feet at best I was afraid this dog would jump on her and hurt her and/or cause her to fall. This dog is strong and has long thick nails that hurt. 

Anyway I notified the police as I can't take care of this animal and it wouldn't let me take it home.  The owner wasn't home so I couldn't notify him to come and get it.  Well when the police gets there the boxer owner comes over claiming I am a racist and only call the police on non white people.  It may be true that the only two people in the neighborhood that I have complained about their dogs may not be white but theirs are the only dogs that have come into my yard and damaged my property or made me uncomfortable.  To be perfectly honest I thought the man who accused me of being prejudiced against non-whites was white.  His wife is white and all the kids are white and all his friends are white.  To tell the truth I don't really care what color you are. 

Be a responsible dog owner.  Fence your dog in, keep it in the house, or leave it tied up outside in the cool of the day for only short periods of time and keep it from hurting me and damaging my property and we will get along just fine. 

No comments: