Sunday, August 18, 2013

I help people too and I got screwed

 "I help people too and I got screwed" was the response one lady gave to a dissertation I made about helping people.  Yes, that can and will happen.  There are limits to what one should do and one has to know when and how to say no.  It's not a good idea to take in homeless strangers, depart with money directly to people or to put yourself into a position where people become dependent and expectant of your help. 

I give of my time, effort, expertise, and bounty but I don't give my money (I have little ) or my processions (I have few),    I give my friendship and my moral support but when someone starts asking for stuff I have to say no.  I don't mind at all helping someone along the way or making their lives happier or easier, even if it is just for a moment, but I don't like anyone expecting me to do things because it changes the situation from me being a giver to one of the other person being a taker.  Once you are being taken for anything then you are setting yourself up to "be screwed" as this lady was. 

No comments: