Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Motivation behind singing

   The Isaac's were appearing in Burlington last week for a benefit for an outreach program that aids the poor, especially the homeless.  I understand why the outreach program booked the Isaacs for the benefit as they have won many awards for their songs, their writing, and their productions. 

If one has to classify their music it would be more into the bluegrass/country style.  I'm not a music critic but I do know that the group, a mother and her three children, are very good at what they do.  But being good at what one does is not necessarily a good thing.  If the motivation behind why you do what you do is different than your stated goal then I'm not so sure it's a good thing. 

What exactly do I mean by that?  It can be argued that the motivation behind all our actions  is to  earn a living and to a certain extent that would be true but that doesn't allow for all the volunteers,
or people who put in way more effort into their endeavors than the rewards they ever hope to gain.  I have no problem with  singers getting paid for their music or preachers getting paid for their service.  After all, we all  need food, clothing, and shelter.  Most singers sign because of two reasons:  one is they enjoy signing and making music, and two, if one is successful it pays well.  In some cases it pays really, really well.  If I paid out my hard earned money to see a singing group I expect them to be good and to entertain me. 

Let me be perfectly clear.  I do not know the Isaacs outside of what I read and what they said at the performance last week I have no clue who they are.  I know nothing about how they live their lives.  I draw my conclusions of who they are by their actions that I observed. They appeared to me to be a group of people, in this case family, that has chosen to make a living signing music for a living and they have chosen bluegrass/ country  gospel as the type of music they sign.  Actually spreading the gospel and uplifting the name of Christ is not a motivation in doing what they do at all.  Their music was not really gospel or Christian music.  It was moral music  but that isn't exactly the same thing. 

If one truly loved Christ and was motivated to spread the gospel then that love and motivation would be reflected in their speech and their actions.  Honestly, many singers and even some preachers are in the business solely to make a living.  I cannot say that the Isaacs are not Christians.  Christianity has nothing to do with how often one goes to church or what one does to make money but on what kind of relationship one has with Christ. 

What I saw was a family that was very good at what they did and that loved each other.  That is a good thing.  I'm not saying they a phonies as they never said they were anything other than who they showed themselves to be.  They are entertainers singing bluegrass/country gospel music. 

No comments: