Monday, September 02, 2013

A friend in need of help

I have a friend in need of some help.  My friend is 81 and he lives alone.  His wife, his life-long companion, died about ten years ago and my friend  is missing her badly.  I suppose as he gets less mobile he thinks about her more and more and he has become severely depressed. 

We think of depression as a deep state of sadness that makes us cry and unable to function but my friend is a man and men often handle problems differently.  Often a man with depression will be fidgety or hyper as it were and become angry, shutting people e cares about out of his life.  That is my friend now.  He ignores everyone, refuses to take phone calls and ignores us when we come to visit or pass on the street.  It's like we are strangers and he is afraid of us. 

I know the man has contemplated suicide and the last time I saw him he was trying to set it up so his life insurance would pay the funeral home directly.   He has one son and a grandson but I don't know them.  exactly what am I supposed to do? 

No comments: