Sunday, September 08, 2013

The real reason you are unhappy at work

That is the title of an article on Yahoo and the reasons given indicate that if you have a problem at work the problem is you.  Really?  I have to admit that sometimes an employee develops a bad attitude and it is obvious to everyone that the only problem is them but when a large number of people have the same feelings about the job they are doing or the location where they perform their job maybe it is the boss, the company policy or just the nature of the job. 

Like the problem of being bored at work.  The solution given is to talk with your boss. 

When I was in the Navy stationed aboard an aircraft carrier  was assigned to a special job while I was awaiting clearance to do my regular duties.  My "assigned" job was titled compartment cleaner.  I was given a bucket, a capful of pine sol, a sponge, a steel wool pad, and a bottle of liquid wax.  My job was to go down a long hall way and scrape the wax off with my steel wool pad and then to rewax the floor.  Then I was to go to the bathroom and clean it.  When I finished that then I was to go back into the hall way and scrape off the wax with my steel wool pad and rewax.  The I was to go into the bathroom and clean it.  Then I was to go back to the hall way and scrape the wax with a steel wool pad.  Rinse and repeat all day everyday. 

Talk to my boss?  In the Navy you have to put things in the form of a request chit, or a least one did 40 years ago, so I did. I was called to the anchor room to face a panel of 5 officers and questioned for three hours about why I wasn't satisfied with my job. 

I remember the day I turned in my final notice at my regular job.  I was finishing up one assignment when I was given my new assignment.  I needed some material to finish my first job and when I went to get the stuff I needed my boss said to me "This is my bar and I decide when last call is". 
 What he was implying was that I had decided I was finished working for the day and he wanted me to know that that decision was his to make.  Well, he was wrong.  I could have been like most people and left the cleanup of the old job for the next person to do so I didn't have to push so hard to get the next job done but I'm not like that.  I want to leave things like I would want to find them. 

The next day I informed the company of my desire to retire. 

Sometimes you do work for jerks and sometimes it is the job.  For those of you in that situation my heart goes out to you. 

No comments: