Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Why didn't I get hired?

I worked for Winn-Dixie but when I moved I sought a job with a competitor. I didn't get the job with Food Lion but did get hired by Lowes Foods.  After three years Lowes was closing the location I worked at so I applied for a job with Food Lion and BI-LO.  No interview with Food Lion but BI-LO hired me with a substantial pay increase.  After a few years and a promotion there I again had to move and again applied to Food Lion and to Wal-Mart (back when they had a functioning meat department) and was hired by Wal-Mart.  Lowes found out I was looking for a job and a supervisor came looking for me to rehire me.  I decided against taking the job at Wal-Mart but did accept the one offered to me by Harris-Teeter.   After I retired I did apply for a position part-time with the local Food Lion store as they were in need of part-time help.  Again, no interview. 
    Why is it that every store I applied to hired me immediately  and even rehired me but I could never garner any consideration from Food-Lion? 

 I had the same problem when I worked in the drug store business.  I started at SuperX Drugs as a receiving clerk, was promoted to merchandiser then to assistant store manager and then to store manager before the chain filed for bankruptcy.   My location closed in November and I secured a job with Rite-Aid but they wouldn't have an opening until January.  I worked for the two months for Eckerds in their photo finishing lab in Charlotte.  I liked the company so applied for their retail stores but wasn't hired.  I started as an assistant manager with Rite-Aid and was quickly promoted to manager and eventually to District Supervisor.   I left Rite-Aid after 5 years and applied at Eckerds and Revco.  Revco gave me a job but I couldn't even get an interview with Eckerds. 

It was after Revco went belly up that I switched occupations. 

It just seemed strange to me that certain companies refused to even interview me while every other company jumped at the chance to have me com aboard.  Anyone else every have that experience/ 

No comments: