Thursday, November 07, 2013

back in the gym

Starting the last week of October I'm back walking at the gym.  It's a little tougher this time as I'm a year and a half older and 20 pounds heavier than I was before and I am recovering from a bout of Type 1 diabetes which saw me lose a lot of muscle mass.  Before I walked 5 miles in an hour and 15 minutes.  Now I'm walking 3 miles in an hour,  Today I tried pushing it hard and walked 1.5 miles in 23 minutes but I couldn't keep the pace up like I was once  able too.  Still, I did finish my walk logging in 3.3 miles. 

It is hard to keep up the pace when slower walkers come to the gym, especially when friends come together and they are as much interested in talking as they are in walking.  Once stride is broken it takes extra energy to regain it.  Slower walkers is one of the reasons I quit the gym to begin with.  Walking above 3 mph increases the benefit of walking almost to the level of jogging without the stress on the body running causes. 

Of course using some of the machines causes less bodily and joint stress than walking but the danger there is people want to hold onto the machines when they try to run or walk really fast and holding on negates much of the benefit of walking fast. 

my wife ordered me an MP3 player for my birthday so I hope that will help relieve some of the boredom of exercise. 
We'll see.

No comments: