Saturday, November 09, 2013

Chicken Dinner

I volunteered to help with the chicken dinner.  I read somewhere in order to be successful one should always volunteer.  I drove to Thomasville and helped put together 62 chicken dinners which I loaded up in my van and delivered to the church for pickup.  The pickup time on the tickets said from 11 to 1 which is more than enough time and considering that after two hours one runs the risk of food poisoning. 

At one o'clock there were still 17 dinners left.  I called T-ville to let the pastor know what was going on and that the Evangelist and another preacher had not picked their dinners up.  At 1:05 according to my wife's phone she received a text that someone was on the way to pick up those dinners.  it was a few minutes later when he arrived, about 10 after.  I loaded him up while he picked out his sodas, we chatted a minute and then he was on his way. 

I then condensed the three coolers of drinks into two coolers and loaded then into one workers car before I realized one of the coolers belonged to another so I pulled it out of the truck, transferred the drinks and reloaded the car.  I then dumped the ice, packed the remaining dinners into bags and then said our goodbyes.  I can't tell you when I left the church but I arrived home at 1:32 and I live less than a two minute drive from the church. 

Well a woman called the pastors wife and complained that when she arrived at the church we were all gone.  She claimed she got to the church at 1:14.  The pastors wife called me to ask me about the incident.  It was two thirty when she called about the lady not getting her dinners. 

Now I don't know the time lag from when the lady was at the church, her calling the pastors wife and I receiving the phone call but I doubt seriously it was an hour and 16 minutes. But to me it doesn't really matter.  The ticket said she was to pick up the dinners from 11 -1.  If she couldn't be there before one she should have called and made other arrangements. 

No comments: