Friday, November 29, 2013

Ready, set, shop! 10 tips you must follow

I have never ran up a credit card debt shopping for Christmas.  I keep a credit card for emergencies and for convenience. If I use my credit card for convenience, say like at the service station so I don't have to go inside twice to fill up, then I always pay my balance at the end of the month.  If it is an emergency, like car problems, then I might have to make a couple of payments to eliminate the balance but that has nothing to do with holiday shopping. 

My wife and I usually purchase our Christmas present early, like in April or May.  For 2012 we bought a love seat with motorized recliners and for 2013 we got a set of gas fire logs.  Both pieces were purchased in either April or May.   One year we got computers, another a big screen TV.  In neither case did we use credit.  We decide then save up and purchase what we want when we want it.  Lately, we don't even bother to put up a tree. 

Our kids live far away and we haven't seen each other in years so we just order something through the internet and it is delivered, card and all.  So convenient, quick, and easy and no debt, no crowds,and no pressure.  Of course our way of doing things don't work for everyone.  In that case you might read the above referenced article from yahoo.   

No comments: