Thursday, March 05, 2015

Getting ready for spring

      One really doesn't get ready for Spring as it comes whether we are ready or not, just like "it" in hide and seek but there are things one does in Spring that one doesn't do any other time of year. 
   One thing we do is "spring forward' which we will do this weekend in honor of daylight savings time or the end of it, I never can remember.   But there are more personal things for me.  One is my ponds.  I take my pumps out I the fall and have to reinstall them in the Spring.  since my neighbor has an Oak tree I can't take my netting off   until all the old leaves have fallen off his tree.  Having the netting on makes it much more difficult to put the pumps back in.
   Other things I do is open all the vents around the house.  Open vents keeps the house cooler in the warmer months and closing them keeps the house warmer in the cooler months.  My neighbors don't understand this concept as they never change theirs.  It only makes a few dollars a month difference but a few dollars more is better than a few dollars less. 
  I  have my lawn care equipment serviced in the fall so its ready to go.  I just have to take Mom's stuff back to her house.  This Spring I'm going to sow grass seed as well as till my garden space and fertilize my fruit trees and begin preventive spraying.  I hate having to spray but if I don't my tress get diseased and I have no produce. 
   Of course it's still winter and half my front yard is under water and a deep freeze will cause my yard to be a sea of ice.  it hasn't happened yet but with all the saturation from the recent snow and the all day rain we have had it is just possible with temperatures down to at least 20 tonight.  I have at least twice as much water standing in the front yard as I have ever  had and that is even after I unclogged the drain hose. 
   I'm ready for Spring, for real, even if I do have to work harder. 
 

No comments: