Monday, May 04, 2015

Funny looking bearded Iris

    When I purchased my house in 2008 there wasn't much to look at as far as landscaping.  There was a patch of phlox by the driveway close to the road in he right-of-way and then there was a small patch of purple bearded Iris to the left of the driveway facing the house .  I let them grow for two seasons but the weeds and grass had taken over so I spent a lot of time cleaning the Iris garden up.  The third season it was a nice display but I noticed there were yellow Iris mixed in with the purple.    The fourth season I moved the entire garden up on a hill and spread the plants out  It made it easier for me to mow my yard can the plants more room to grow and added a buffer between my property and the vacant lot next door. 
   Actually I moved the Iris after the end of the third season so they did very well last year except I noticed that there were a lot of yellow Iris.  This season over half the Iris ae yellow except for one patch I planted in a corner by the driveway.  I planted somne around my pond and some in the center garden.  At least half are yellow.
   This year I noticed two    that were different.  One was yellow and the other purple.  One was in one section by the driveway and the other inb the center memorial garden.  They look to be a cross between a tiger lily and a bearded Iris.

No comments: