Sunday, December 23, 2018

Helping the police

  There have been many occasions when I have gone to the aid of the police.  The first time was in my twenties.  I was working at a retail store and I stepped out on the loading dock and noticed a police officer struggling to gain control of a much larger man.  I asked if I could help and when given permission the gentleman relaxed and was easily taken into custody.  A couple of years later I noticed several officers struggling with multiple suspects and I stopped to render assistance.
  A third time was at Lowes Food store  on High Point Road in Greensboro.  Two suspects, one six feet four and the other, six foot ten, had stolen and consumed several bottles of wine on the premises and were attempting to leave with more when approached by a uniformed police officer and a couple of Lowes security personnel.  The three men were no match for the two bigger and stronger suspects.  The two security officers wrestled with the shorter of the two suspects in an attempt to handcuff him while the police officer was trying to handcuff the larger man after having sprayed him with mace.
   The big man tossed the little cop over the customer service counter but was so blinded by the spray he couldn't see which way to flee/  The policeman recovered and again tried to handcuff the big man.  I asked the cop for permission to help and he nodded his approval, being to tired to even speak.  Fortunately, the security guards had the first man in custody and one of them came to our aid to subdue the second fellow.
   The fourth and last time was also in Greensboro.  A man on a motorcycle was fleeing from a policeman in an SUV.  The motorcyclist fled up a dead in street and was attempting to leave that area when the cop blocked his exit.  After a short face off the motor cycle sped behind the SUV and attempted to go behind my truck.  Being in reverse, I just stepped on the gas attempting to block him from fleeing.  The motor cycle rider lost control of his ride and ran from the scene.  The police officer and his dog gave chase but the dog was confused as to whom it was chasing:  me or the suspect.  The suspect was easily outrunning the police officer so I just put my truck into forward gear and pulled in front of the fleeing suspect so he had to stop running.
   I don't consider myself a hero.  I just did what all good citizens should do but few do.  The police are here to help us in times of trouble.  Even if everyone was a law abiding citizen the police would still be necessary as there are times when someone needs to be there to keep things in order.  I just put myself in their situation and react the way I would want others to act.  If we all got involved there would be much less crime.

No comments: