Sunday, August 08, 2010

The finger

most people have five digits on each hand and each have different meanings when held in the air. The little pinkie calls into question ones masculinity, the index finger means we are number one, the thumb means "way to go" or "give me a ride", the ring finger just means "I got a ring" like in a wedding ring. The middle finger, however, leaves no question as to its meaning. The giver of the finger is expressing his/her angry at the recipient. Once one receives the finger, it is common to give it back and often heated words are exchanged and sometimes vilolence occurs.

Today I was a recipient of the middle finger. What I did was legally correct but i drive a little red car and the giver drove a black mercedes sports car. A person backing a car has to yeild to traffic, leggaly anyway, but courtesy sometimes prevails and another driver will yeild. most days I do because I know it isn't always easy to back into traffic. Today I didn't.

The man chased me down and pulled close to my back bumper to draw my attention to him and his extended middle finbger. He was hoping from a reaction from me. He was disappointed. Not6 one to be deterred, he followed me and again gave me the finger when I made a right hand turn. Again I didn't react.

It would have solved nothing and changed nothing. Maybe it made him feel better and it gave me something to write about.

Most often I find I find when people give me the finger it is because they did something wrong and even though they almost caused an accident, can't realize what they did wrong. like the man who was in the inside left turn lane and I was in the outside left turn lane. He made his turn but into my lane. He leaned out the passenger window, called me an idiot and gave me his finger.

No comments: