Monday, August 02, 2010

habit or addiction?

I like my computer but not so much my cell phone. I don't mind talking on a phone as long as some one calls me. Just make it brief and to the point. But to actually make a phone call takes some nerve. Some times it takes days or even weeks for me to get up the courage. Sometimes, even if it is an important call, I back away from making it. like the recent I-40 incident I blogged about. I was upset the man was not arrested and e-mailed the police. All I have to do know is to drive up there or call to have a warrent issued for the man. It is too far to drive and I just can't get up enough courage to make that phone call.

A habit is something we do because we are used to doing it but there usually are no real consequences to not doing it. An addiction, on the other hand, is something we suffer from if we don't do it. Smaoking is an addiction. Trying quitting. The head gets tight and feels like it will explode. Breathing sometimes gets difficult, one gets nervous and short tempered, it gets hard to think, and the sensations seemed to get worse as the day grows long, day after day after day.

I get bored easily and I don't like regular TV. I can watch the history channel, or crime TV, or occasionalloy a good movie but most nights, I just don't want to sit and watch a glass tube in a plastic box. The computer gives the the opportunity to read, to explore, to research, to express my self, and to withdraw and relax.

No, it doesn't hurt my social life because I'm not really a social person. It's not my fault though. I'd love to have a friend to go fishing with or get together at ball games or backyard cookouts or whatever friends do. I used to have one many years ago.

No, the computer is a substitute for nothing better to do and far better than a TV but it is not addictive, nor is it a mindless habit.

For some though, a cell phone seems to have taken over their life. I would say a person has a serious problem when they say they would rather give up sex than their cell phone. But listening to their conversations (can't help it-they talk loude and they take everywhere) they really don't have anything worth talking about.

I actually did use my cell phone while shopping last week. I was shopping for my Mom and one item she wanted cane with too many choices so I called to confirm which one she wanted. That call was easy. I don't know why others are so difficult.

One man wants to write a book about his going four months without getting on a computer. I wonder if he lost weight too?

No comments: