Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The big day

i suppose most people like to skate through their final weeksat work especially their final day but I'm not built that way. I gave a four week notice and continued to do my normal job until today. Today I went all out and even cleaned up after lunch. It felt good to get as much done as I did in a short period of time and leave little to do for the closers.

As of two o'clock this first day of summer 2011 I am officially retired. Actually, I had already planned on taking a vacation this week as it is my anniversay week so maybe not having a job to go to will really sink in next week when my wife goes back to work. She only has a week to work before she has surgery on her foot to fix her funny looking toes so maybe she is fortunate having someone here to take care of her.

my plans for retirement are to take care of my love ones, continue mowing the grass at the churchand home, to be of more help to my wife here and to do whatever I can to help the church grow.

I've been able to attend very few of the Sunday morning services but I do get a video tape of them each week but its not the same as being there. I understand we had 29 this past Sunday which is more than double the number who attended last October when I started going there.

One man came to sing at the church three weeks in a row but he said the church wasn't big enough for him. That's okay because we aren't looking for numbers to put on the board but good Christian people who want to work to spread the gospel.

Soon I'll get to teach Sunday School. We have had a rotating syatem where our associate pastor teaches for four Sundays and our missionary pastor teaches the next four Sundays. I'm not sure how the new rotation with me will evolve but I'm not a preacher so one won't get little minnie sermons.

What I like most about teaching is I have discovered it is one of the best ways to learn. My first lesson will be on milk and meat.

Next spring I hope I can find a little league baseball team to coach. I prefer the ten to twelve year age group. I'm not sure if Randleman has organized ball or not so if you hear of an opening in the area let me know.

I'm looking forward to following Christ and serving the church and I'll see you there.

No comments: