Monday, June 20, 2011

The Last Day

Tomorrow June 21, 2011 is the last day of spring and the first day of summer. It is also significant because it is my last day of work. At 2 pm tomorrow I will officially be retired.

I have several reasons for making the decision not to return to work, the least of which is not my desire to be able to attend church services on a regular bases. Retail has had its good points with its flexible schedule as I never had to miss work for doctors appointments or for the things the kids did during the day but I missed out on a lot of normal things. With no permanent schedule I couldn't attend church, join any groups, or make advance plans to do things with family or friends.

Another reason for retiring is because of the lack of a relationship with my wife. She if off every Sunday and usually gets either Saturday or Wednesdays off. I get Thursdays and Mondays off. Seldom do we every get a day off together and to make matters worse, I work Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings and she works 2nd shift hours so I never get to see her on the weekends when most couples are together. Wednesday's she works first shift and I work the evening shift and Tuesday I work mornings and she works evenings so at least four days a week we don't see each other.

The third reason I decided to retire is pain. I have tendinitis in my right arm and was told I have some choices: face surgery or learn to live with the pain. Well, I have been using max-freeze or apspercreme on a daily bases plus swallowing some OTC pain pills several times a week.

One of the side effects of my prescription medication is muscle weakness and sorenessand that makes it hard to sleep at night so I always feel tired. Nowi feel like I have to get out of bed on my day's off because if I sleep late I won't be sleepy enough to go to bed in order to get up at 3 am. Even when I do get time off like on a vacation my body is so used to going to sleep early and getting up early its hard to adjust.

I just want to feel normal and live a normal life and be able to do things like normal people do.

No comments: