Monday, November 28, 2011

Gifts that won't bust the budget

Thge headline was on an article on MS NBC this morning and the subtitle was "all gifts under $50.00" I suppose that seems inexpensive enough until one stasrts adding up everyonbe on ones shopping list. Wife, two brothers, three sons, mother, mother-in-law, and that's just my family. Most people have family much, much larger. That small group is already 8 people so that's $400.00. I suppose if you are one of the working families that is okay but that is way over budget for me and it was even when I was working. True, I did get a nice bonus in November when I worked but I am not working now. My November bonus was divided between our second vacation and Christmas but that is a past reality. I draw social security and next year when I can work again I will be limited to making $15,000.00 so there really will not be a budget for buying everyone gifts for Christmas. As always things continually need to be fixed--including me. I just spent $700.00 on car repairs and I'll need new tires somnetimr in 2012, I have a leaky pipe in my shower, and I need new hearing aids. That is just the present problems. Can't wait to see what 2012 will bring in new expenses. I worked hard to save money for retirement but unless the economy perks up soon, the shrinking value of investments will eat my savings up. I'll need to sell some land just to get back my losses from my retirement accounts. But that is all future and speculative. At the moment, one $50.00 gift is out of my budget. That doesn't mean I can't give though. I still do the yard work at the church, make the videos for the shut-ins, help make the scenary for the Chritmas play, and many other little things that need to be done. What I lack in money I more than make up in time and a serving spirit so I'm more than okay.

No comments: