Friday, November 25, 2011

suspended season

There is a story on the web about a basketball team that has been suspended from play whikle the eligibility of one player is questioned. I really don't think winning should be an issue at any level of sports except maybe professional. The truth is no matter how one stacks thing up at seasons ene the total number of wins and losses will be exactly the same. I think there are more importanbt thinbgs to ne gained from playing sports that ones won loss record. The first team I ever played baseball for, the Reds of the minor league in Hickory. NC ended the season with an 0-13 w-l record. I played left field or center field. I played on some much better teams in ther years to follow but I never played for a really good coach. If a coach had taken the time to teach me about the different types of batting stances, or how to steal a base, or how to back up plays or direct infeilders on cutoff plays, I would have been a much better player. Too many of the coaches felt it was their job just to decide who played and who didn't and to figure out how to win. When I coached a little league team I looked for ways to bring out the best in each player and to use their best featuresfor the betterment of the team. If a player was a fast runner but a pooe fielder and hitter, I was use them as substitute runners or base stealers. I do believe that parents, supportters and coaches place too much importance on winning. Like I said, when its all over, they all just break even.

No comments: