Monday, November 14, 2011

Body Aches and good feelings

Last week I walked 53 and a half miles and only walked 1.5 miles the last day. The average walked per person in the USA is about 3 miles or 6,000 steps. For good health it is recommended that we try to walk 10,000 steps a day. My step count was 113,180. I log 8,000 to 12,000 steps from 6 to 7:30 am at the gym while the majority of the rest are logged at the church doing yard work as well as working in my own yard. During the cooler months I don't have as much yard work to do at home so I'm working to clear a half acre of overgrown field beside the church. I'm using a loper, a small hand saw. and a hoe. Sure, using a chain saw and one of those machines that eat threw tall grass and small trees would be much faster but I don't own either and can't afford to rent them as I don't have an income at the present time. All that waljking anf stooping and bending leaves my legs and back sore and tired which makes it difficult to get a good nights rest. I try to give my brain a good workout too and fortunately it doesn't get sore like the rest of me does. The funny thing is I'm the oldest person that attends our church except for Mrs Tickle who is 92 and only comes once a month or so. I know I'm retired and have the time to work around the church but I did the same job when I workedas I'm doing now. The only difference is I walk at the gym instead of on a job now. Honestly, I don't think the men that are twenty or thirty years my junior could keep up with me. I'm neither bragging or complainning: just telling the facts. In spite of being tired it is a good feeling to get a job done. I like the church to look nice. There isn't any way I can clear the whole lot by myself though because there are amny fallen trees scattered about and I don't have the equipment or money to handle that big of a load but I will clear what I can and next summer I can plant some pumpkins so I don't have to mow that area and I'll have something to sell to make money to donate to the church. That makes me feel good too.

No comments: