Friday, November 23, 2012

I thought it was just me but he really is a jerk.

I was a little nervous when I met my wife's family for the first time.  Her father had passed away many years before but her mother was doing well and her brother was doing well as were her sister's husband. 

Her family is a lot different than my family is.  I haven't learned anything about my wife's paternal grandfather but her mother's father was a brilliant man, having been a successful business man, college professor and circuit court judge.  He was more of an aristocrat than anything else: stern, stuffy, and authoritative.  Her mother is a small person but intelligent and learned, having earned her living as a teacher.  She is a reserved person, neat, a planner but subject to changing her  mind, a giver of pratical gifts, not affectionate but not cold nor aloft either. 

My wife, her sister, and her brother all seem to be cookie cutter images of their mother's quirks.  The family members aren't on the pretty side of looks nor are they particularly religious yet they are Christian and are genuine, nice, and keep themselves on an even keel. 

The younger girl's husband, on the other hand, is a jerk.  He is a financial officer for a motorcycle dealership and is an authority on any person around town as well as on most subjects.  Any thoughts you may have are held up for ridicule by this man and it is his habit to ignore everyone except his wife, who he speaks down to if he speaks to her at all, and his son, who one would think is his equal and best friend. 

His real jerkiness comes to light at the dinner table where is is the first to begin eating and he eats at at pace of a starving dog.  I think he eats fast so he can be the first to the dessert.  Whatever isn't taken  will end up on his plate.

It is his habit to come late, usually just in time for the meal, eat, and then be on his way as soon after the meal is finished as possible.  No one complains about his leaving though. 

Now my younger brother is arrogant too and also a jerk but he is a wealthy man and actually has friends.  My wife's brother in law is just a jerk. 

No comments: