Wednesday, November 14, 2012

wiring to blame for no power

People without power in the Northeast are upset that it hasn't been restored this long after Sandy passed through the area.  It's cold here and I know it must be up there.  I believe they had a snow after the hurricane had done its damage. 

Many New Yorkers are not garnering simpathy from Southerns because we find them rude.  Still we can empathize with them, especially if you lived through the big ice storm to hit this area about 10 years ago.  I know I was here and still remember the misery I went through.

After several months of being homeless I had found a friend that let me have a bedroom to call home.  My homelessness was through no fault of my own and is a subject for another time.  It's only important to this story to illustrate the point that I had no money even though I was working a full time job and an almost full time job. 

The neighborhood i lived in was the first group of houses to lose power during the ice storm and the last to have power restored.  The house was heated by oil but without power the furnance didn't work.  The house did not have a fireplace nor did the owner have a space heater.  They had a friend they could stay with so they were okay. 

I had lived in Archdale  so I had not made any friends in Greensboro save for the owner of the house where I stayed and a friend of hers with whom she was staying.  I had no way of getting to Archdale or to my Moms house so I was stuck.  Besides, I had to care for the animals.  It was below freezing every night and there just wasn't enough covers to keep me warm. 

Green Ford graciously allowed me to take a shower there one day and another day I gave a hooker $10.00 to let me us the shower at her room at the old Southgate Motel.  In case you are wondering, yes the name of my blog came from that motel but that is a story for another time. 

I was in that miserable condition for ten days so I understand the peoples anger and frustration.  The power is not being turned on due to fears about faulty wiring and the possible results when a power surges through bad wiring to the homes of 40,000 people.  There could be lots of fires and lots of property loss and maybe even some loss of life.  At best, some people would be worse off than they are now for then they would have no place to live.  I've been there and done that.  I don't wish that on anyone, even if they are rude. 

No comments: