Monday, February 02, 2015

How long to use a razor blade?

    It seems there have been attacks on the multi blade shavers of today. Oh, they are good but they are expensive.  For some reason disposables leave me bloodied and red so I only use them in cases of extreme emergency.  Because of the expense of the blades and, the irritation of my skin I tend not to shave everyday.  Now that I'm retired I could shave every other day.  When I worked I had to shave 5 days during the week and if I worked 3 or more days in a row my skin would be almost raw from the irritation. 
     I'm not about to go back to using the old style double edge blade.  One had to keep a stock of septic sticks and band aids handy when using those things.  I liked the Atra razor but there are no blades for them any more. 
    With the multi blade razors I could get about 10 shaves from one.  That was a pricy shave but with my coarse beard I dared not push it beyond that.  Then I discovered baby oil.  Go to the dollar tree.  don't look where the baby stuff is.  In my local store if you go to the register then turn right and walk all the way to the back of the store  one can pick up a ten oz. bottle for $1.00.  In the baby section the 6.5 oz is sold.  Walmart sells a 2 oz bottle for over $2.00.  Anyway, after your morning shave put a couple drops of baby oil on your blades, back and front.  Doing that I've stretched my comfortable shaves to 4 weeks. 
     In Oct 2014 the nearest K-mart closed in doors and I purchased a cheap electric shaver, battery operated for half price.  it doesn't give a really good shave but using it is better than not shaving at all.  Now I shave with a razor on Wednesdays and Sundays every week (for church).  I shave with the razor every other Tuesday (for church visitation days) and on any other day when looking ones best is required.  I use my electric shaver   one the other days.  It works out to be about half and half, electric vs. manual shaving.  What I have found though is that if I use the electric shaver first then my manual shaver later and continuing to us the baby oil I can use my razor blade for a much longer period of time.  it fact I just installed the first new blade since I purchased my electric shaver.  That is 5 1/2 months on one blade.    
   Now shaving isn't expensive any more. 

No comments: