Thursday, February 12, 2015

To Give or Not, That is the Question


     I'm a generous tipper.  My wife and I give 10% of our total income to church plus we give extra for the evening and mid-week services and for all the special needs offerings plus we buy a lot of things for the church, especially things that have to do with maintenance plus I take care of the mowing, lawn care, and just about any project that comes up.  Last month I purchased carpet and carpeted the two handicap ramps and the two flights of stairs.  All I'm saying is I'm not cheap nor am I opposed to giving.
     In October we had a family in need and my wife purchased $80.00 worth of food for them.  In November when my mom moved I gathered up all her food and gave to them.  There was at least $500.00 worth of food not counting what was taken out of her upright freezer.  We have given generously to everyone who needed help even when they haven't asked for help. 
   One lady who comes but has  to depend on others to get her there has asked for help for the fourth time, and this time she wants us to bring it to her.  She has an adult son who lives with her but he is too lazy to bring her to church so she has asked for rides from every member of the congregation.  Patsy quit the church because this woman would call twelve to fifteen times to make sure she is coming.  One elderly couple almost split up over this woman and another couple actually moved to avoid her.  She doesn't give a dime to the church, never says thank you to anyone who gives her a ride nor offers gas money or a lunch as a way of showing gratitude.  The only time her family comes is when they can get something for free from the church.  At a dinner the church put on they took 17 plates of food home with them.  At Christmas they take as many treat bags as they can garner. 
   And now the lady is asking for food again.  She hasn't been to church is several months because no one wants to give her a ride.  I am one of the first to step up if there is a fellow congregant  in need. 
Ever now and then we all get into a situation we need help.  A few years ago my wife had a brain aneurysm so the church brought us a chicken dinner that was enough for four meals for each of us.  Families get sick, suffer fires, auto accidents, lose jobs, and suffer losses that leaves them needing a little help getting by.  I am eager to help. 
   Where I draw the line is when I am expected to provide for some ones upkeep.  I pay taxes and give to charities for that.  My family budget doesn't provide for supplementing someone else upkeep.  Am I wrong?
  

No comments: