Saturday, January 07, 2017

First snow day of 2017

    Todays snow has been the main topic of the news, FB posts, and conversations.  Every year we are told to stay home unless we absolutely need to get out.  What constitutes that absolute need varies from person to person.  To me, an absolute need who be a medical emergency or many the house on fire but to others it might be "I've got another hour to wait until something I want to watch comes on TV". 
   In my working days I always went to work.  Sometimes it was difficult and some time it was nearly impossible but I always got there.  I missed one day due to illness in all my years of working so I'm just like a postman in that old saying.  Snow brings back memories of some funny things that happened. 
  Once when I was a district manager for a chain of retail pharmacies I supervised a location in Elkin, NC.  I lived in Hickory and was greeted by six inches of snow when I left the house.  I'm very reluctant to close a pharmacy because people need their meds and some people lives could be endangered if they can't get them.  I know one will say "Well the people should have anticipated the snow and got their meds a day earlier".  But that isn't always the case.  Sometimes a script can't be refilled until a certain day, sometimes the refills expired and the patient is waiting on the doctor to authorized additional refills, sometimes a pharmacy will be out of a particular med and has to wait on a new order.  There are other reasons a patient can't get their meds a day early.
  I drove from Hickory to Elkin only to discovery the store closed.  B y the time I arrived there was close to nine inches down but the snow had quit falling.  I drove to the managers house and called them.  The manager said she was unable to get to the store.  I told her to just walk outside as I was parked in her driveway.  I know she was shocked. 
  But if I could drive from Hickory to Elkin in the snow in a Chevy Celebrity then she could have made it 1/2 mile to where she worked. 
  I wouldn't recommend people doing that unless they have to.  I certainly wouldn't do it now.  There will be plenty of people driving around that would be hard pressed to give a good explanation of why they are out.   So, if what you say "sounds stupid" when said out loud, the don't go.

No comments: