Wednesday, February 08, 2017

IQ tests and Mensa

  Mensa means table in Latin and is an intelligentsia organization that requires an IQ that is in the top 10% of people.  An article about the IQ of certain celebrities stated that an IQ of 140 qualifies one for Mensa membership.  That statement is not true.
   There are numerous IQ tests that have different numerical scores.   In 1969 I was invited to a Mensa meeting and then offered a chance to see if I qualified for membership.  I had been offered a mini test which I came close to the required IQ.  A friend of mine was also given the mini test and he did better than I so he was invited to test for membership. 
   An IQ is not a number that is fixed for a person for all of time.  An individuals IQ can vary but will always remain fairly constant barring any health related changes.  There is no one single test to determine ones IQ   but a whole battery of tests.  The maximum scores on the various IQ tests ranged from 130 to 180.  The testing facility where my friend and I were tested used ten different tests and took 8 hours to complete.  We were notified about two weeks later. 
   The most commonly used test measured IQ on a scale with 180 being the maximum.  Another regularly used test measures on a scale up to 160. For Mensa testing, all test results are converted to the 180 scale and one must score 160 to qualify for Mensa. 
  My friend, who did well on the pre-test, scored well but not well enough to qualify for Mensa.  My overall score was measured at 159 but due to problems with one of the tests, my IQ was rated high enough to qualify me for Mensa.  So at any Mensa meeting I also considered myself the dumbest one in the room. 
   Being intelligent does not translate into being wealthy or successful.   There are other factors like opportunity, application, motivation, health, and inspiration just to name a few that can affect
   ones earnings in life.  I have always been an average student but now and then I find myself motivated to actually make an effort.  I scored 2 points from a perfect score in the match section of the college boards.  I was the first student to make an A in Mr. Helms economics class at Chowan college.   I received two free years of college from the results of a CLEB test. one of only three  to receive credit out of over 1,000 taking the test, with the other two receiving 6 hours and 3 hours credit.  One of my proudest accomplishments was when I took my insurance exam.  I passed two sections, health insurance and life insurance, at the same time n the first try.  I didn't know that was a very rare feat. 
  Being smart has it's drawbacks and certainly does not make one always right nor does it insure one understands everything.  It is what it is and does not make one any more special than anyone else.  If I had my choice I'd rather have the ability to make friends but I have one of those brains that wants everything to make sense and to be placed in it's proper order. 
  God made us all different and we should be glad for what we have and who we are and not concern ourselves for what we don't have and can't do.  One never knows but the person you envy just might be jealous of you.   

No comments: