Saturday, February 11, 2017

Why people hate police.

I am pro law enforcement.  They are necessary for our protection.  I, like everyone else, hate to get stopped by them because it is embarrassing and in the likely event I get a ticket it costs money: fines, court costs and increased insurance premiums and maybe higher interest rates when buying a new car.  In my younger days I had a tendency to speed and I often got caught.  I'm glad there is such a thing as cruise control. 
  I have come to the aid of policemen many times in my life.  The first time was a policeman was trying to control a homeless man behind a store where I worked but the cop was too small to handle him.  I asked if he needed help and he said yes.  Another time there were two cops trying to handcuff three neb but they decided to fight and were winning until I asked one of the cops if I could help.  Numbers being even, we quickly got the situation under control.  When I worked at Lowes grocery in Greensboro   a man standing about 6 foot 11 inches tall and his muscular buddy were stealing wine.
In store security and a uniformed cop stopped them and tried to place them under arrest.  The big guy tossed the cop over the customer service counter.  The only thing that prevented him from leaving was the pepper spray had blinded him so he didn't know which way to go.  Store security had the stocky guy on the ground but he needed help in securing him. 
  The cop crawled back over the counter and tried to get the big mans arm behind his back but the tall man was too strong and the policeman was getting tired.  Everyone in the store was just watching.  I had just finished by day and was observing what was going on as I approached the time clock.  I asked the policemen if he needed help and he said yes.  Together we got the big man in hand cuffs and the cop went to the aid of the security guy and got that fellow handcuffed.
  Once I was heading home after an early morning shift when I saw a cop pull over a motorcycle.  When the policeman exited his vehicle the motorcyclist gunned it.  He made the mistake of missing a left hand turn and was headed for a dead end.  The police vehicle stopped in such a way as to block but the dead end street and the through street so I jus waited to see what would happen.  The cyclists
waited on his bike for the cop to exit his vehicle.  I knew the man was going to make a run for it and he did as soon as the cop had both feet on the ground.  He tried to go around me behind my vehicle but I put my truck in reverse and floored the gas petal knocking the bike from under the driver. 
  The man jumped up and started running.  He was obviously faster than the cop and just might have gotten away but I sped after him and when he saw me he just gave up. 
  Yea, I think cops are good people and I have the greatest respect for a female cop in Hickory.  She still visits my Mom on a regular basis.  Still, there are bad cops out there.  I was pulled over once for speeding in Bay St. Louis and fined $50.00.  When I asked for a ticket and a court date the cop pulled out his night stick and told me to step behind a building and we would talk about it.  I had one cop in High Point, NC steal $20.00 from me and one in Greensboro refuse to help me. 
  Except for family court I've found the justice system (including cops) to be fair and honest people trying to do the right thing.  I say family court but what I mean is a particular judge in High Point that found all men guilty regardless of the circumstance.     

No comments: