Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Harvard Cheating Scandal

While I was attending UCLA (University of Chowan located near Ahoskie) someone stole the master copy of a test and it quickly made the rounds of the mens dorm.  I was offered a copy but refused to participate.  I'm not sure how it was determined that cheating had occurred but the school launched an investigation.  I was questioned by the dean and I disavowed any knowledge of the test or anyone participating in the crime.  Eventually the thief and about four others were determined to be the cheaters  but there were many more involved, at least as far as I knew there were even though I could not provide names, even if I had wanted too.

I felt guilty about not informing on the cheaters when asked but it is hard watching your friends get into trouble for an impulsive and thoughtless act.  I still feel bad about not telling the truth about what I knew.  Somehow not telling the truth made me culpable, just like the cheaters. 

I really don't think the people involved in the scandal at Harvard, no matter how brilliant they are, have really thought about the ramifications of their actions as regarding the cheating.   It is easy to just see a painless way to get a good grade on a test.  What they fail to realize is that this is a test of their character and could cost them their chance to graduate thereby negatively effecting the remainder of their lives and their potential earnings.  It is or could be one very expensive lesson. 

No comments: