Saturday, September 08, 2012

If I had money I would

I was reading an article about the five myths of money and to tell the truth making money isn't the problem but when earning more money becomes the sole reason for your existence, then you have a problem.  When I was a supervisor for a big Pharmacy chain, I found that the larger the chain became the more demands were being placed on my time.  It got to the point I was out of state weeks at a time and didn't get to enjoy my home or my family.  I finally realized that family was the most important thing so I gave up my job. 

I know that in todays economy some folks have to work several part-time jobs or even a full time and a part-time job to make ends meet but there is a difference between need and greed.  When I owned a chain of pet stores I had a big surprise one day when I found out that I was not only broke but deeply in debt, the victim of an embzzlement scheme.  Paying the money back was hard.  I worked 70 hours a week for three years and was even homeless for a short period of time but every penny of the money was repaid.

One of the commenters on the story said if she made enough money she would give some to help out others.  To that I say baloney! 

Oh I'm sure if she won the lottery or suddenly found a way to become a multimillonaire she might make a donation to a charity or set up some kind of endowment fund but chances of that happening are slim to none.  I know, this is America and rags to riches stories are fairly common but honestly, how many of your friends have found a way to become so stinking rich that they could never spend all the money they have on ordinary living? 

One does not have to be rich to help others.  Volunteer at the hospital, walk around your neighborhood and pick up trash, tutor a child that is struggling, bake some cookies and visit the hospitalized, visit the elderly at rest homes, donate your time and efforts to help some less fortunate people or raise money for a charity.  If you can't help others even though you have no money you probably won't help others when you get rich. 

Sometimes just a phone call can ease a persons loneliness.  Drop a handfull of fresh tomatoes by an elderly windowers home and see if that doesn't make his day.  Have a greeting card ministry.

I'm sure you can think of many ways to help others that cost little or no money and some that requires little time but still makes a big difference. 

No comments: