Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Is 25% the new standard for tipping? Depends where you eat

I'm sorry but I just can't afford to give a 30% tip.  I double the tax and round up or add a dollar or two.  I'm sure upon occasion the tips I leave have been 30% or more and I always leave a tip when I go to a buffet place although I notice many people don't.  People who eat breakfast and those who eat the buffet are the cheap people.

I know waiters and waitresses work hard for their money but I worked hard for mine too.  I worked with the public just like they do and did a lot of special orders for people.  I know I made above minimum wage and was not allowed to accept tips, even when I went above and beyond the call of duty.  I understand that the term TIPS means to ensure prompt service but if I am going to be required to give a certain percentage of the bill as a tip then that amount should just be added to the price of the meal and tipping not be allowed.  That way the wait staff can draw a descent wage and all the customers pay their fair share. 

I don't think its fair to exp-ect the people who do tip to tip a l;arger amount just to make up for that percentage of people who tip little or none at all. 

No comments: