Sunday, December 11, 2016

Advise Not Taken

In an earlier post I talked about a man that was about to receive a large settlement from disability and what I thought should be the best way to handle his new found gains.  I don't believe he followed my advise because he paid for Christmas dinner for the entire church at the Pioneer last night.  He has been driving a "rental" car the last week which I believe is the "new" car (2016 model) he was thinking about buying. 
  We had another man get a lump sum from disability about 3 or four months ago.  He purchased a picnic shelter for the church and bought some new clothes and a used pickup truck.  He didn't attend the dinner last night because he was broke.  Two years ago a family won a large settlement from an auto accident.  It seemed like they traded cars every three months and were all the time grabbing the check at church functions.  It was youth night and the youth director was taking the kids to Sir Pizza.  It was the mans daughter's birthday so he picked up the tab for all the pizza.  There was the preacher and his wife, the youth director, his wife, and two kids, this guy, his wife and his four kids and the oldest ones wife, his brother and his wife, and his ex-wife and her husbands and three children plus eight kids from the youth group and then some other folks I have no idea who they were. 
  The group had ordered eight individual pizza and 8 extra-large pizza's plus salads and drinks.  The bill was in excess of $300.00.  Any way, the man and his wife are now separated mainly because he spent thousands of dollars and had little to show for it.  She has her money and a new guy and he has a run down trailer, an old pickup truck medically problems, and no real job. 
  Getting a lot of money is not a cause of celebration.  For my birthday a friend gave me a lottery ticket (a $10.00 scratch off) which cashed in for $1000.00.  I gave a tenth to the church, a tenth to my friend and a tenth to my wife and purchased some new clothes with the rest.  A thousand dollars is not new found wealth
  I retired six years ago and I still have most of my retirement fund and all of my pension.  The total amount of my retirement fund was only four thousand dollars more than one mans back pay on his disability yet several months after receiving it he is too broke to go to a church dinner. 
  Most people are poor because God can't trust them with money. 

No comments: