Saturday, December 17, 2016

My semon went well.

  I preached Sunday night and my message was well received.  At least I made my point.  I know the pastor doesn't much care for my lessons or my messages.  Almost every time I preach he has an off handed commit to make the next time he preaches.  Just because the preacher doesn't agree with me doesn't mean I'm wrong.  He claims he studies all the time and I don't doubt that buy his study methods and mine are different. 
  His father pastored for 47 years and saved his message outlines.  I'm almost positive that the pastor selects and outline, copies and pastes the supporting scriptures , and then studies the message to insure he can deliver it properly.  I don't have message outlines.  I do sometimes read a book or listen to a message and develop my own outline from that but most often I originate my own message.  I study by reading commentaries, books by preachers,  reading the scriptures, or listening to preachers on the radio.  I try to stick to things that I can validate through study of a wide variety of opinions and not just by telling others what someone thought or what I think. 
  I will never say things like "once saved, always save, If saved always saved, or you have to get right in order to live right in order to die right.  If those phrases were found in scripture then I would have no problem using them but those phrases never occurred so I don't.  Even the idea that one of those phrases could be correct does not occur.
   Yes, salvation is a simple process and it is true that one can be sure of ones eternal destination, but there is something lacking in those canned phrases above.  I also know after salvation we are freed from the penalty of sin but we are not freed from the obligation to obey the Law.  Christ fulfilled some of the requirements of the law and paid the penalty of disobedience for us but we are duty bound to surrender our selves to Christ and live our lives as if he is living his life through us.  It is neither as complicated as it sounds nor as simple as some people make it. 
  In any case I support my pastor in his efforts to do God's will and will not undermine his efforts even if he does that to me. 

No comments: